Ceng 328 - Quiz 4
Solve all questions.
For Thursday & Firiday sections
- (1.75 pts) Which of the following is a benefit of allowing a program that is only partially in memory to execute?
- Programs can be written to use more memory than is available in physical memory.
- CPU utilization and throughput is increased.
- Less I/O is needed to load or swap each user program into memory.
- All of the above
- (1.75 pts) In systems that support virtual memory, .
- virtual memory is separated from logical memory.
- virtual memory is separated from physical memory.
- physical memory is separated from secondary storage.
- physical memory is separated from logical memory.
- (1.75 pts) Suppose we have the following page accesses: 1 2 3 4 2 3 4 1 2 1 1 3 1 4 and that there are three frames within our system. Using the FIFO replacement algorithm, what is the number of page faults for the given reference string?
- (1.75 pts) Optimal page replacement .
Choose only one question.
- is the page-replacement algorithm most often implemented
- is used mostly for comparison with other page-replacement schemes
- can suffer from Belady's anomaly
- requires that the system keep track of previously used pages
- (8 pts) Explain the sequence of events that happens when a page-fault occurs.
- (8 pts) How is the effective access time computed for a demand-paged memory system?